Friday, February 23, 2007

Using email for interviews is no longer verboten

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - At a roundtable discussion of student and professional journalists today, there were mixed opinions about the use of email in practicing journalism. Several student newspapers and news organizations have absolute NO written in their policy manuals.

Most professionals seem to use email plenty. In some cases, it's the only way to get to people.

In a entry posted here a few days ago,
  • Writing For Money, Feb. 15
  • I wrote about how I used email to contact representatives of the Legislative Analyst's Office about a report I heard them reference on television - a cable broadcast of a legislative hearing.

    If I had needed an answer or clarification of what I heard them say, I would have been quite comfortable using email.

    I use email frequently to track people down and to start conversations. If I have a detailed, complicated question, I know my sources appreciate getting the questions succinctly (I hope) in writing before we talk on the phone.

    And if we don't talk on the phone and they respond by email, they know that whatever material I use, they have a written record of.

    My advice to writers is let common sense prevail. If you ask a question via email and the answer seem odd or untrue, verify it somewhere else. That's just good standard journalism practice no matter where you got information from.

    But don't be shy about using your keyboard as a tool for gathering information. Editors 100 years ago told reporters not to trust a new technology that was becoming widely available then: the telephone.

    3 comments:

    Michael K. Althouse said...

    I love using email and made extensive use of it on my last story. The best thing is that I never ger a quote wrong... not that I ever would, but it's nice to have it in writing.

    Mike

    josh said...

    It's an interesting issue. At the Hornet we have a prioritized list of how we interview our sources:
    1) In person
    2) Over the phone
    and if all else fails:
    3) Via Email
    Some of the writers went as far as to say the networking website MySpace.com was also a useful interview medium.
    Some actually used it.
    It works well as a tool for accuracy as well.

    Lacey said...

    I have to agree with Mike - getting those quotes in writing is nice. However, email doesn't flow like a natural conversation... I really rely on input from the other person to know what question to ask next.

    I've done several interviews in online text chat now... and I love it. I get the quotes in writing, I can ask follow-up questions as naturally as in a conversation... but most importantly, I am interviewing people who are practiced at communicating their point in the text-chat format. If I were not, this would be a bad model. It takes practice, use of emoticons and other descriptions, to be able to convey the subtleties we're used to seeing in face-to-face conversations.